Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: File Icons are not correct  (Read 10954 times)

Dznytoy

File Icons are not correct
« on: January 03, 2019, 11:16:12 AM »

The icon shown for my .pdf files is not the usual all blue icon. It is a white icon with the Revu logo in the middle. How do I get the original file icon back? The attached image files shows the icon I want on the Left and the icon I have on the right.

Note: I have tried deleting the IconCache.db file and restarting my PC. This did not work.

Note: PC is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Steve

• Administrator
    • RevuHelp
Re: File Icons are not correct
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 11:33:49 AM »

Are all the PDF icons on you HD the white icon?  Did/Do you have a Beta or other version installed in side-by-side mode?  If you haven't, try reassigning PDFs to Revu.  Right click on a PDF icon and in the popup list choose OPEN WITH > CHOOSE DEFAULT PROGRAM... then choose Revu.  If that doesn't work, and you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed (or another PDF reader) repeat the process and assign Acrobat as the default program first (and all the icons should change to Acrobat's default), then go back again and reassign Revu as the default program and see if that "resets" the icon.  Don't know if it this will work or not - but these would be my next steps.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 11:36:41 AM by Steve »
Steve Jones
RevuHelp Forum Admin
steve@revuhelp.com
www.revuhelp.com
www.facebook.com/RevuHelp

Dznytoy

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:30:31 PM »

Are all the PDF icons on you HD the white icon?  Did/Do you have a Beta or other version installed in side-by-side mode?  If you haven't, try reassigning PDFs to Revu.  Right click on a PDF icon and in the popup list choose OPEN WITH > CHOOSE DEFAULT PROGRAM... then choose Revu.  If that doesn't work, and you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed (or another PDF reader) repeat the process and assign Acrobat as the default program first (and all the icons should change to Acrobat's default), then go back again and reassign Revu as the default program and see if that "resets" the icon.  Don't know if it this will work or not - but these would be my next steps.  Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately I have already tried that method as well. And I have also tried right clicking on the icon and changing the Opens with: program. I have changed it to Acrobat Reader DC, Revu 64 bit and Revu 32 bit, all to no avail. 

Steve

• Administrator
    • RevuHelp
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 03:01:11 PM »

When you change it to Acrobat, does the icon change to the Acrobat icon for documents?  Or does it stay the Revu icon?  And if it stays Revu even after assigned to Acrobat, when you double click a PDF does it launch Revu or Acrobat?
Steve Jones
RevuHelp Forum Admin
steve@revuhelp.com
www.revuhelp.com

Steve

• Administrator
    • RevuHelp
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 03:06:13 PM »

Also found this online.  Might be worth a try.  I think the key is quitting Explorer while you delete the Icon Cache from within the Task Manager:
1.   Press Ctrl-Shift-Escape to get the task manager.
2.   In the Processes tab, click on explorer.exe and click End Process. You'll get a confirmation dialog. Click "End Process" to confirm.
3.   From the File menu (still in the task manager), choose New Task (Run...).
4.   Copy/paste/enter the following command in the run box:
Code:
cmd /c del %userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db /a
5.   Open the Run box again with File --> New Task (Run...). This time, enter this command:
Code:
explorer.exe
6.   All should be okay now. Open the Start Menu and confirm that your icons are fixed now
Steve Jones
RevuHelp Forum Admin
steve@revuhelp.com
www.revuhelp.com

Dznytoy

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 03:29:49 PM »

When you change it to Acrobat, does the icon change to the Acrobat icon for documents?  Or does it stay the Revu icon?  And if it stays Revu even after assigned to Acrobat, when you double click a PDF does it launch Revu or Acrobat?

Yes, the icon changes to the Adobe Reader icon (see attached image). When double clicked it opens in reader.

Dznytoy

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 03:30:22 PM »

Also found this online.  Might be worth a try.  I think the key is quitting Explorer while you delete the Icon Cache from within the Task Manager:
1.   Press Ctrl-Shift-Escape to get the task manager.
2.   In the Processes tab, click on explorer.exe and click End Process. You'll get a confirmation dialog. Click "End Process" to confirm.
3.   From the File menu (still in the task manager), choose New Task (Run...).
4.   Copy/paste/enter the following command in the run box:
Code:
cmd /c del %userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db /a
5.   Open the Run box again with File --> New Task (Run...). This time, enter this command:
Code:
explorer.exe
6.   All should be okay now. Open the Start Menu and confirm that your icons are fixed now

This is what I meant in the first note of my original post. "Note: I have tried deleting the IconCache.db file and restarting my PC. This did not work."

Dznytoy

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »

Also, the icon is different in my Recent file list.

Steve

• Administrator
    • RevuHelp
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 04:01:35 PM »

Did you delete the cache file by following the steps? Specifically, did you quit Explorer first, then delete the cache file? If you just delete the cache file without quitting Explorer, then Explorer still may be hanging onto the settings and just reload them again after reboot.
Steve Jones
RevuHelp Forum Admin
steve@revuhelp.com
www.revuhelp.com

Dznytoy

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 04:56:52 PM »

Did you delete the cache file by following the steps? Specifically, did you quit Explorer first, then delete the cache file? If you just delete the cache file without quitting Explorer, then Explorer still may be hanging onto the settings and just reload them again after reboot.

Yes to all of that. I found that in a google search before I joined the forum.