Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Version History in Studio Projects  (Read 3101 times)

Armadillo2017

Version History in Studio Projects
« on: July 04, 2020, 12:34:44 AM »

My team is using Studio Projects and I'm trying to figure out a way of retaining version history for drawing sheets through the life of the project.  Our team has field and office staff, and the field crews have iPads with the Studio Project synced for access.
Previously we either just used the Slip Sheet feature and lost some redlines along the way, or we kept all of the sheets and ended up with several sheets to review during construction (worst case scenario for guys in the field).

After looking online, I discovered the "Sets" feature, but after playing with it for a bit, it seems like a compatibility nightmare - do multiple people have access to the project?  Does it matter?  Is that necessary for a team as long as one person has access to the Set?

The main question I guess is how are some other groups tracking version history?  Our plan sheets are broken up into individual files, I thought may just keep all of the versions of a sheet within each file, but I thought that would cause issues with Slip sheets. 

Any help is appreciated.

Armadillo2017

Re: Version History in Studio Projects
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 04:35:59 PM »

I was able to answer my own question with some trial and error. 

For those who don't know, when you look up information on Bluebeam's "Sets" feature, it's usually showcased with the "Slip Sheet" function.  I thought one had to do with the other, but they're two independent tools.

If you utilize Slip Sheet, you will get the dialog box asking if you want to keep the previous drawing version in the same file and stamp it as "SUPERSEDED."  This will allow you to update all of your links and markups on the most current version, while still keeping past drawing revisions.  The important thing is that Slip Sheets has the option to add the new revision to the current file or to replace the current version with the new one.  Make sure you insert the new page into the file instead of just replacing the sheet to get the full benefit of this tool. 

"Sets" just creates a database so that you can look at all of your individual PDFs together as though they were one combined file.  If all of your drawings are separated into individual files within your Studio Project, then creating a drawing set will allow you to search across all of your drawings as though they were one file.  Sets are cool because if you're browsing through all of the drawing sheets, it'll show you drawing revisions. 
If you create a set, you don't always have to use it.  You can create it for your Studio Project, save it, and only use it when you want to browse through the entire drawing set.  Other people don't have to know it exists, it can just live in your document system.  If you want to have a Set for your project, it has to be saved as a file within your project.  It will not work if your Set is saved locally and your drawings are saved in Studio or vice versa. 

As far as field crews, they'll have the benefit of having all versions of a drawing sheet in one file.  Having a Set for your project won't impact them.  It will just make your life in the office easier if you want to treat your individual sheets as one big PDF rather than several smaller ones. 

Hopefully that helps someone else.