Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to add an interactive 3D part plan onto an existing pdf sheet?  (Read 3077 times)

MBAUS

Hi all, I'm a Revit drafter/modeler for structural engineering. I'm impressed with the 3D pdf export functionality of the Bluebeam Add-In - this is how I export 3D pdf's.

I have an existing 2D A0 size pdf sheet with comments on it from our engineer. I'm currently modelling to his comments but there's a problem area in our model that I need to coordinate with him (it's a corner of a wall showing a slab step).

I've exported a 3D pdf of the local area, but I'd like to paste it onto my 2D sheet so that he can review his markups and in the process have a 3D model embedded in the page to rotate and take a better look at. This saves him having to access a different page or a separate ifc or 3D pdf file.

I can add my exported 3D pdf as another page, but would like to show it on the same page.

Is this a functionality? I'd like to use it on lots of projects if it is.. But it doesn't seem possible.

Thanks for the help.

W31Andrew

Yes you can. Edit>PDF Content>Add & Edit 3D Content - then draw a box the size of the window you want for the 3D model, then select the 3D pdf file.

MBAUS

Hi Andrew,

For me that didn't work - Bizzarely you can import .ifc files that way, but you can't import existing 3D pdf's..  The only 3D import options are .u3d and .ifc.

That said you gave me an idea, and it turns out that the idea is your suggestion but with a tweak, and it's even quicker.

In Revit, find the view you want to show in your 3D pdf then go

(via the toolbars)

Add-ins > Bluebeam > Copy 3D to Clipboard

This copies the current 3D view.

Then you just go to Bluebeam and CTRL+V to paste. This allows you to draw the window that you want to display your copied 3D content in.

To move the 3D element once you've placed it, go Toolbars > Edit > 3D PDF Content > Add or Edit Content (CTRL + ALT + 3) - this lets you drag whatever you've pasted in. Or you can use the screen crosshairs to draw a new box and add more 3D content.

Thanks for the help. This is really useful.

I've attached an example file for anyone wanting to use this function. 3D pdf's are very efficient - this whole file is only 64kb.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 06:18:07 PM by MBAUS »

W31Andrew

Good info. I'm glad you got it working, and thanks for sharing your findings.