Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help: Script to automate PDF creation and data entry  (Read 11976 times)

engineerfitz

Help: Script to automate PDF creation and data entry
« on: January 30, 2019, 02:18:03 PM »

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to automate a tedious process using a BB script, and I don't know JS.  Our company admin has to create a PDF certificate for each person who attends a training class.  The certificate itself is a PDF file, and all she needs to do is add the attendee name (either through text markup or a form field).  Ideally, I would like to be able to point BB at a *.csv file and have it automatically:

1) Create a new PDF using the certificate template
2) Insert the next name in the *.csv file into the text field
3) Save the file
4) Repeat steps 1-3 until all names in the *.csv file have been entered.

I appreciate any help that this community can provide.  Thanks!

Steve

• Administrator
    • RevuHelp
Re: Help: Script to automate PDF creation and data entry
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 06:29:39 PM »

Revu's scripting mainly deals with file manipulation.  You are looking for data manipulation.  Really kind of a "mail merge" feature.  I don't see how Revu can do that internally (w/o JS).  If you were on the Mac version, it might be doable using Applescript.  Your best bet may be creating the certificate you want in Revu, opening it in MS Word and using it's mail merge feature to add in the names.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:01:11 AM by Steve »
Steve Jones
RevuHelp Forum Admin
steve@revuhelp.com
www.revuhelp.com
www.facebook.com/RevuHelp

engineerfitz

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 06:16:32 AM »

Thanks for the response, Steve!  I was explore the MS Word option further.

engineerfitz

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 05:38:30 AM »

Steve,

I was able to get Bluebeam to do most of what I want.  Here is what I did:

1) Opened the PDF certificate on which I wanted to add the names.

2) Inserted a text form field where the name is to appear on the certificate and formatted the text until it had the desired size, font, alignment, etc.

3) Saved the file to use as the master template

4) Created a Bluebeam insert page script to insert the template after the last page [InsertPages(-1,templatefilename.pdf)].

5) Created a toolbar button for the script.

6) Clicked the insert page script to get as many pages as desired (50 for example).

7) Created a separate Bluebeam PDF with 60+ text form fields.

8 ) Named the text form fields to match the ones shown in my combined template PDF created in step 6.

9) Exported the form data as a *.fdf file.

10) Created a new script and shortcut toolbar button to import the *.fdf file created in step 9 and flatten the form fields once finished:

[FormImport(nameofexportedformfields_data.fdf)]
[Flatten(false,65536,-1)]

10.5) Ran the import and flatten script.

11) Created new page labels by page region and dragged a box around the employee name.

12) Extracted pages and chose to name with page label.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 05:40:52 AM by engineerfitz »

Steve

• Administrator
    • RevuHelp
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 07:53:19 AM »

Very cool.
Steve Jones
RevuHelp Forum Admin
steve@revuhelp.com
www.revuhelp.com
www.facebook.com/RevuHelp

Guilty-Ham

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 05:20:38 PM »

WOW!  Nice Job.  You should make a downloadable from that work and sell it to Bluebeam.

xmehrban

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 05:30:49 PM »

Hello All I am new to this Forum and new to BlueBeam. First of All, excuse my language, but, what the FUUCCC**** are those question when signing up? where is the Crysler Building? what is the company who makes Revu? what is 3+2+9-5-6 ?!!! is this a Mensa Website that you have prove you are not retarded to even login?!!!!
No all anger aside, I need everybody's expertise. I am moving from Adobe to Bluebeam and I have too many questions. If somebody help me out be out of this stupidity box that would be great, thanks
1. In Adobe when I wanted to move one page from a file to another, the method was to simply drug and drop the page. I don't see this option to work in Bluebeam. right click, copy, right click paste is the only what I see in Bluebeam.
2. When creating a form I was trying to add a button and I wanted to modify the button to rename it to "Click here" and then configure it the way that you have you click it. I could somehow modify it and renamed the button. but was nowhere to be able to save the changes I make. I mean when I want to change the Trigger from "mouse up" to "mouse enter" I can do it but there is no click to save the changes!. I click away and it turns back to "mouse Up"! how to apply the changes?