Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insert Page with Preview Pane On  (Read 8995 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • RevuHelp
Insert Page with Preview Pane On
« on: October 31, 2017, 09:36:31 AM »

I reported this to Bluebeam Tech Support as a bug.  They didn't really seem to think it was as much a bug as just a slow network connection on our part.

When working on documents on our server, when I go to insert a page into another document, when you click the ADD button and the Explorer window that opens has the preview pane turned on, and you select the document you want to insert and hit OPEN before the document completely draws in the preview pane, the Explorer window closes but the inserted document does NOT appear in the Insert Pages dialogue list.  The fix is to either wait a couple seconds for the preview to draw OR to turn off the preview pane.  This problem does not happen if the files are local - hence the thought that it is the slower network connection (slower than being local) that causes the problem.

From the log files (see below) it does seem that it is the fact that the preview pane doesn't finish drawing that causes the problem.  Regardless, I still think it's a bug.

Code: [Select]
Error : 09:13:12 : Exception                 Invoke or BeginInvoke cannot be called on a control until the window handle has been created.
System.InvalidOperationException: Invoke or BeginInvoke cannot be called on a control until the window handle has been created.
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.BeginInvoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
   at Bluebeam.Framework.Dependencies.WinMainThreadInvoker.BeginInvoke(Delegate pDelegate, Object[] pArgs)
   at Bluebeam.Framework.Redline.DoAnnotationsLoaded(Document pDocument)
   at Bluebeam.Framework.Support.Annotations.AnnotationManager.a(Object A_0)
Steve Jones
RevuHelp Forum Admin
steve@revuhelp.com
www.revuhelp.com
www.facebook.com/RevuHelp

B-C

Re: Insert Page with Preview Pane On
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 11:10:49 AM »

just had a user report this error this morning...

almost identical error
REVU 2017 CAD 2017.0.40

similar error - but unknown which document the user was in ... they only reported the error after it showed up when closing 3 different PDFs

Slow network doesn't apply... - Network is 1gb to desktops so thats not it.

I'm wondering if its preview related with pdf preview sometimes placing a readonly lock on files while in preview -

this is a win7 system vs win10 and have noticed that bug in win7 with BB and Explorer Preview - hit and miss.  disable preview and things get better for explorer - as well as BB - disablilng Explorer preview - but wonder if BB preview uses explorer preview....

just tested with 2018.3.4 and Windows 10 - issue didn't occur - but also didn't have files open in preview with Windows Explorer.. and on Win10...

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:23:10 AM by B-C »

Scott

Re: Insert Page with Preview Pane On
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 02:31:08 PM »

Steve,
We have seen similar examples with working with large (>50mb+) files and have to wait. It is not the exact issue you noted, and I haven't seen an error message.  Basically my opinion is the program has to cache the file before it opens or copies something from it, thus while waiting for it to load a bit fixes the problem. I can easily replicate this behavior when opening a large file from a remote network drive. This pause avoids opening a file in 'read only' and doesn't put a lock on the file and allows me to save it, also the reason we too don't see this behavior when the file is local.

Not the same as you are having though I believe what you have happening is the same behavior we have noticed with larger files. No difference on 2018.3+, haven't tested on Win10.