Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drawing Takeoffs  (Read 13253 times)

Jdunton

Drawing Takeoffs
« on: January 26, 2018, 09:26:00 AM »

My work recently downloaded Bluebeam on our computers for drawing takeoffs and I get to learn how to use the program.  We want to be able to highlight the room name and room number, add it to the markup list and then export it to an excel sheet.  The challenge I am having is when the markup list exports to excel, it is showing the ID field with the code of the field instead of the value (i.e. room name & number).  Has anyone else experienced this challenge or have an idea how to set it to show the field value on the excel sheet?

Steve

• Administrator
    • RevuHelp
Re: Drawing Takeoffs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 10:07:38 AM »

A little clarification is needed (at least for me - LOL).

How are you "highlighting" the room name and number?  Are you using the SPACES feature of Revu?

Can you post a screen shot of the drawing with the Markup List (Bottom Panel) open show an example room marked?

Thanks!
Steve Jones
RevuHelp Forum Admin
steve@revuhelp.com
www.revuhelp.com
www.facebook.com/RevuHelp

Jdunton

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:09:02 AM »

I was using the highlighter feature to highlight the room name and number.  I did try the SPACES feature and did type in room names and they showed up in the Markup List.  I then was unsure how to add the room numbers to match up with the room names.  My co-workers were thinking by highlighting the room name/number it would automatically copy it to the Markup List to then export to excel, I believe their intent was to avoid the typing part.  I am unable to take a screen shot, but will when I can.

Steve

• Administrator
    • RevuHelp
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 01:05:15 PM »

No markup tool will automatically pull up text from the drawing and attach it to the markup in the markup list.

If you want to use the highlighter, you will need to create two CUSTOM columns in the markup list.  One column would be ROOM # and one would be ROOM NAME.  You will have to type that info into the markup list for each highlight / markup you make.

With SPACES, the idea is to create a space and enter a room #.  Then when you create the next space, it automatically increments the space number by one.  So for example, if you create a space in room 100 and enter "100" for the name, you can move to room 101 and create a space and Revu will automatically name it "101".

You don't have to use a room # - you can put anything you want in the space name.  If there is a number in what you put in the name, it will increment the number.  So if you name Space 1 "101 - Restroom" then the next space will default to "102 - Restroom".  Only the # changes.

What you could do is create a space for each Room you have work in.  Name each space Room # - Room Name, ie: "306 - Mechanical".  Once you create the spaces, be sure to turn on the SPACES column in the markup list.  I think it is off by default.  Even then, nothing appears in the SPACES column until you place a markup in that room / space.  So if you place 3 markups for AC Outlets, 1 for light fixture, 1 for a slop sink, etc then in the markup list it will attach the space name to all 5 of those markups.  You can see that in the markup list.  So you can now export a report by SPACE and it will list each item in the space.  Or you can export a report by ITEM and it will list the item and all the spaces it is in.

SPACES are like a "Parent" classification.  Anything you put in a space will be "connected" to that space.  You can even nest spaces.  You could create one space for the entire BUILDING.  Then create a space for each FLOOR in the building.  Then create a space for each ROOM in the building.  Then you can generate reports such as a list of all rooms on Floor 7 only that have a phone jack.

Setting up spaces can take some time - but it can make things simpler later on.

Find more info on spaces here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMn5tAm-FPo

Steve Jones
RevuHelp Forum Admin
steve@revuhelp.com
www.revuhelp.com

Steve

• Administrator
    • RevuHelp
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 10:35:58 AM »

Aha!  While looking for an answer to anoter question I stumbled across some info that may help you in what you are trying to do. It seems there IS a setting that will allow you, when using certain markup tools, to automatically copy the text your are marking up into the COMMENTS field of the markup.  It is set in the MARKUP section of the PREFERENCES.  Here's a link to the Bluebeam help page.  The feature is a little over halfway done the settings box and is called "Copy Selected Text into Text Markups".

https://support.bluebeam.com/online-help/revu2017/Default.htm#RevuHelp/11--Preferences/Markup-Preferences--V.htm

I've not tried it to see how it works.

Learn something new every day!
Steve Jones
RevuHelp Forum Admin
steve@revuhelp.com
www.revuhelp.com