Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Site visit best practice w/ drawings on iPad?  (Read 8818 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • RevuHelp
Site visit best practice w/ drawings on iPad?
« on: October 12, 2018, 08:34:32 AM »

How does anyone handle going to a site with drawings on an iPad?  Do you use Studio?  Do you download drawings to the iPad, mark in field, then upload the changed drawings on return?  How do you reconcile changes that may be made on the "original" drawings while someone has a copy out in the field?  If you could be assured of WIFI at all sites, then Bluebeam Studio and checking-in and checking-out might be ideal.  But not all sites have reliable WIFI, so you need duplicates on the iPad.  Ideas?  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:53:18 AM by Steve »
Steve Jones
RevuHelp Forum Admin
steve@revuhelp.com
www.revuhelp.com
www.facebook.com/RevuHelp

Scott

Re: Site visit best practice w/ drawings on iPad?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 01:35:30 PM »

I've also been dealing with the same issues when WIFI is not constant. I haven't yet found the best solution but interested in sharing the knowledge, hopefully together a viable solution could be reached.

Thus far we only have a small number of field devices we have deployed, we utilize a Project. In the event User1 made a change and User2 did as well offline, the race is on to which syncs back first, the other always gets a conflict and has to make a choice how to proceed.

I don't like this approach, but so far it is infrequent as the Users are typically assigned a system and there is little to no overlap.

Sessions don't seem to be the solution as our work packages are often 100's of pages/files and we might have 50 different work packages in the field at a time. 50+ different Sessions even with 1 merged file would be very cumbersome. All of these in a Session as individual files could also have problems. Within a Project we utilize a Master document that will link to individual files/drawings, this approach is not possible in Session (I haven't been able to get it to work) and we would need to adjust our whole front end work when making packaged.

I'm still not convinced I can't get a Session to work, and maybe utilize a Dashboard to drive to the correct Session.  This is still a significant amount of upfront work compared to just using a Project for us at this point, and would require us to adjust how we already generate a Master document to link to files.