Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Estimating for Frame Hardware  (Read 9192 times)

sanderson

Estimating for Frame Hardware
« on: June 18, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »

Hello all,

First post here, I've searched the internet and any forum I could find extensively with not much luck, and I'm hoping you guys might be able to assist.

I'm using Bluebeam Revu 2018, and our company is hoping to use it to do thousands of residential frame take offs per year.

I've watched all the webinars and gone through the Bluebeam University training.

I've got my columns set up with lots of formulas and choices. As far as the lumber portion of our take offs Bluebeam has been fantastic. However I've hit a snag regarding hardware items. We have an item list with roughly 6000 hardware items on it, and I can't figure out a good way to reference that list in Revu.

For instance, the way we are currently doing hardware take offs is I created a tool called "Hardware Count" and you would select the tool and count whatever hardware item you are currently taking off, and then you would change the label to the name of whatever hardware item, ie. changing the tool label "Hardware Count" to "H10A".

The problem with this method is that it requires all of our estimators to correctly type in the name of the hardware items every single time they want to count one.

I think the answer might involve the quantity link feature, however it seems extremely tedious to have to do all the steps involved in the quantity link process every time you want to count a different hardware item. Is there a way to automate the quantity link process so that it defaults to linking certain values to certain cells in excel?

Am I thinking about this all wrong?  :o

Any help at all would be appreciated, I will try to clarify in any way I can if need be.

Thanks again for your time.

bbeaton72

Re: Estimating for Frame Hardware
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 09:38:47 AM »

Are you using Tool Chests for your Tools?
I.E. create a Markup using the menu Tool/Measure/Count menu item
Name the markup according to your preferences (I.E. "H10A")
Right click on the Markup and add it to your tool chest (at the bottom of the right click menu)
Then in Excel, Create a Quantity link using Count. Excel will have the total count of the tool items in one or all drawings across all PDFs that are linked to the Excel sheet.
This way, your markup guys only have to click on the tool chest tool, then place it in the drawing with no typing required.

Tips:
1. Create as many tool chests as you can to break down your list of 6000 tools. Your guys will never use the tool chests if they can't find anything
2. If you are using the tool chest to draw lines or create areas, right click on the tool in the tool chest and set it to properties mode.
3. when you have tool chest files on the network, make sure to de-select the relative path check box when you create them.

bbeaton72

Re: Estimating for Frame Hardware
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 09:40:51 AM »

In addition, If you are inputting x number of nails on a single markup, you can consider using the Height property. You can access this property from the Excel link.
If for instance you had 10 count markup items with each having the height set to 500 (lets say it is a box of nails), the excel link will add up the height quantity from all 10 count markup items and give you a total of 5000 in your cell.