Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Profiles: Loading from server doesn't allow customization?  (Read 2031 times)

David.Kleinot

Profiles: Loading from server doesn't allow customization?
« on: October 04, 2019, 09:12:22 AM »

All,
  I searched, but couldn't find anything on this.

TL;DR: How do I push resources / standards but not remove users ability to customize?

More information:
I am trying to deploy custom changes to multiple users across my company.  Only way I've found to be able to do this is with a custom profile on a server.  Lets say it's called Main.bpx and its in the Profiles folder.  I am in the testing phase of this, so none of this is live yet.

For reference, incase anyone needs to know lets say this is my setup.  All users (except myself) have read-only access to the below.
\\Server1\Bluebeam\
...\Profiles
...\ToolChests
...\LineStyles
...\HatchPatterns
etc...

I am pointing the Profiles dialog to \\Server1\Bluebeam\Profiles.  When I exported the profile, I had Include Dependancies checked.  Inside the tool chests, I have the pathing relative to the profile and they're checked to include with the Main.bpx.

Inside the Main.bpx, i've set location of panels (ie studio panel, measure, file, markups, thumbnails, etc...), Custom statuses, custom tool chests to load, etc...  When they close the program and get back in, it pulls the Main.bpx profile and sets everything up exactly per the profile.

So my problem is, if a user wants to add a custom markup column, or wants to move a panel or otherwise customize their UI, how do they do that but still get the standards / custom changes?  Is there a different way to go about this?

I've been reading through the Enterprise Deployment guide but haven't found anything yet...

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Scott

Re: Profiles: Loading from server doesn't allow customization?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 10:40:52 AM »

I've been playing around with a similar approach and haven't yet found the perfect solution, mostly due to my ability to test completely.

If you were to import the profiles (from the network location), the profiles would be local and then users could customize them. This might not completely address the standards you are talking about.

I know if the tool chest items, and line types are on a network location and mapped in the profile correctly, those would be updated when someone with read/write privileges edits these items on the network. These updated would push the changes to all users.  You have to make sure you are adding existing tool sets and the path is a network location, you don't want to "import" tool sets otherwise you can't change them. You will know they are true shared tool chest items as users will have a Lock on the tool chest, only those with read/write can edit them, and updates will push out pretty quickly to everyone. Lines are similar, though don't have a lock.

As for custom markup columns and status I can't comment, I haven't tried to push those out to users, only loaded as needed.

You might want to check out https://support.bluebeam.com/articles/bluebeam-revu-deployment-guide-version-2018-0/.

I've been running a command line script (created a custom .bat/.cmd file), that imports the profile, though it can also be modified to import tool sets, lines, and hatch patterns. It's found in attached an older 2017 Enterprise Installation Guide. What I've done still works with 2018. I couldn't find a web link on a quick search, this was easier to attach. Check out Page 16 of the document for Deploying Custom Assets & Settings via the Revu.exe Command Line.

Hope that helps.